APPLICATIONS FOR WORK EXPERIENCE 2023 ARE NOW CLOSED. THE PROGRAMME WILL RESTART IN 2024 SO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR APPLICATION ANNOUNCEMENTS.
Our work experience programme has been designed in response to the high number of enquiries we receive from school and college students for work experience opportunities. These opportunities are available to 15 – 19-year-olds only. We are delighted to be able to offer 4 students a work experience placement, during 2 weeks in June.
Times of Work: Office hours: 9am – 4pm at Theatre Royal.
There are times when evening work and working offsite will be available in order to gain a fully rounded experience, this will be agreed in advance with the successful applicant.
You will work as part of our Creative Learning team for a week. You will be managed and mentored by our Head of Creative Learning, David Whitney and Young People’s Producer Emma Thorpe and other relevant members of the wider team. During the placement you will gain valuable insight into the operation of our Creative Learning Department supporting our Doorstep Festival and will interact with our service users. Doorstep Festival is our annual schools festival where we take 2 children’s theatre productions out to 20 primary schools across Suffolk. These are then accompanied by a practical workshop.
Throughout the week you will also gain insight into the workings of our regency theatre and have opportunities to immerse yourself within the different departments that make our organisation run smoothly such as: Technical, Box Office, Front of House, Marketing, Producing, Development, HR & Finance.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Acting as a Doorstep Ambassador in our partner schools, representing Theatre Royal
- Learning from the theatre companies involved and gaining insight into regional touring.
- Working across different departments, learning how they contribute to our organisation and then implementing your knowledge with real world experiences.
- Training in IT and phone enquiries where necessary.
- Undertake a workplace induction
- Attend a CV writing and interview skills workshop
- Have a passion for the performing arts and live events
- Are looking to pursue a career in the arts
- Are curious, proactive and reflective in their work
- They can present themselves professionally and represent the theatre entirely during their time with us